Summer is beginning to ramp up, but that doesn’t mean it’s time to slack off on your health and wellness. Now is the time to take it up a notch and the best news? It doesn’t take much effort at all. Below we have compiled eight of the best health tips that you can start incorporating in your life this summer season.
Eight Steps for a Healthier Summer
1. Sunscreen. This one can’t be emphasized enough. Not only does sunscreen help protect you from the worst case scenario: skin cancer, but it is also affective in preventing premature aging, severe sunburns and sun poisoning which can land you in the hospital and leave you seriously dehydrated. Nobody wants to miss out on all the fun that summer has to offer, so apply at least an SPF 30 regularly and get ready to have the time of your life.
2. Stay hydrated, my friends. You are at a greater risk of dehydration in the summer months so while we hope you’ve been chugging water regularly the rest of the year, it becomes even more important once it gets warmer outside. Because you are sweating even more than you do in the winter months it is important that you replenish whatever you lose. This is doubly so if you exercise outside a lot.
3. Keep your alcohol intake moderate. As delicious as a cocktail sounds while out in the sun, it completely undoes your efforts to stay hydrated. Be wary of how much alcohol you consume and continue your water habit in between drinks. This will keep you safely hydrated and having fun.
4. BBQ light. We love all the sauces as much as the next person and there is nothing like summer cookouts. However, some of our favorites aren’t necessarily the best for us in the amount we tend to have them through the summer months. Switch it up a little and opt for lighter fish and poultry options so you aren’t constantly weighing yourself down. Also consider grilling fruits and vegetables for tasty, healthier side and dessert options.
5. Protect your eyes. Make sure when you are outside enjoying all of those amazing summer activities that you are actively protecting your eyes with sunglasses that block at least 99% of ultraviolet A and B rays. This will not only protect your eyes from wrinkles, but can keep you from having to deal with cataracts later on in life.
6. Get outside more. There is nothing better for the soul than experiencing the great outdoors. Hiking, cycling, swimming, boating, etc. is cleansing for the soul and can break up the monotony of doing everything indoors. Breathe in the fresh air and get ready to conquer life as it comes.
7. Load up on warm weather treats. Berry season is upon us and there is nothing more gratifying (or healthy) after a long day in the sun than a bowl of fresh berries. These delicious fruits are high in antioxidants and fiber that will keep you moving and shaking all summer long.
8. Get your ZZZs. Yes, there is so much to do and the days are longer to fit it all in, but you will end up missing out more if you don’t continue to practice good sleeping habits. Your body needs a chance to recharge—especially if you are outside in the sun all day and getting a full night’s rest will prevent burnout.