You’ve been working in your home office for a year and now the novelty has worn off. You hate being in the room and feel uninspired. Lucky enough this is a problem that can easily be fixed with a little imagination and creativity.
A few simple adjustments can make a world of difference and breathe new life into a room you spend a lot of time in. Follow along for ideas on how to refresh your office space and find new motivation to work harder than ever.
Ideas to Refresh Your Workspace
1. Color. This might be the easiest way to totally change the mood and feeling in your space and there are a lot of ways you can accomplish this. If you have the time and budget consider painting a wall(s) a nice shade that you love. Blues, greens and yellows are particularly great for office spaces because of their calming, cheery effect. If painting is out of the question, accents are a useful option as well. Find a desk or chair in an uplifting color. Colorful pictures and artwork can do wonders, or you can even go with curtains or a rug which can really anchor your space.
2. Rearrange and Organize. If space allows move your furniture around. It is amazing how much moving a desk or cabinet to a different wall can change the overall aesthetic and feel of your office. While you are at it get organized again. (Lets face it, despite our best efforts eventually that stack of papers on our desk grows into an unmanageable pile that secretly causes us stress.) Find new baskets and organizers that will help you keep everything where it should be and easy to find at a moment’s notice.
3. Personal Touches. Nothing is more inspiring than seeing images and things that remind you of why you work so hard. Pictures of vacations with your family and friends, newspaper clippings of an event you attended or would like to attend and trinkets from your wanderings can boost the positivity level of your workspace.
4. Make it Feel Like Home. Add some cozy touches that make you feel comfortable so you will want to stay and focus on your work. Lamps, houseplants, throw pillows or a soft blanket soften the space and make it inviting. The rest of your house is a sanctuary, there is no reason your office space shouldn’t be the same since you spend a lot of time in there. Bonus: adding a houseplant or two can help keep the air fresh while adding some color.
5. Mirror, Mirror on the Wall. This trick is particularly great if your space is dark and small because mirrors will help bounce around any light you do have. If possible try placing your mirror on a wall opposite a window. Not only will it brighten the room, but it will make it feel like you have a second window and create space.
Bottom line, don’t be afraid to make your space uniquely you. If you are spending considerable time in it, do what will make you enjoy being there. This will keep you healthy, motivated and excited to work everyday.